I have a tape of jungle sounds. Sometimes I put it into my computer when I’m working. It starts in silence, then dawn creeps across it like light across a sky. The trills of nameless birds, the croaks and cheeps of cicadas and tree frogs – the sounds of the Belizean rainforest are as evocative [...]
About Pauline FiskPauline Fisk is a writer based in England. Her novel about Belize, ‘In the Trees’ is published by Faber & Faber. Extracts from her Belize travel journal can be found by visiting her website.
Author Archive | Pauline Fisk
I was sitting in a jungle clearing in the Chiquibul Forest Reserve. My companions had gone down to the river to bathe, leaving me alone. The undergrowth rustled and disembodied faces suddenly appeared, followed by sub-machine guns clutched in arms swathed in camouflage gear. The Belize Defense Force soldiers (BDF) stared at me and I stared back. [...]
- Funny Beliefs And Superstitions Of Belize October 18, 2012
- Belize Gets A New Logo! Yay or Nay? January 15, 2013
- Kriol, The Lingua Franca of Belize March 28, 2012
- I Hate Belize… Belize City To Be More Specific September 22, 2012
- La Isla Bonita, My Ambergris Caye April 21, 2012
- Why I Had A Great Time At #TBEX June 6, 2013
- Belize Tourism Awards 2013 May 20, 2013
- The Best Of Central America May 3, 2013
- Meeting “Mommy” Janice, A Local Bush Medicine Healer April 25, 2013
- Maya Creation Myth April 18, 2013
- Sarah Jenkins: Marina, I love this list of activities - the photo...
- Partha Mandal: Its really nice to know about peoples favorite and...
- Cassie: You're a sweetie, Lorenzo and so much fun! I'm s...
- Pandelicious: Wow. Such an honor to be part of the list. I'm in...
- Meggie Kay: Aww. I'm glad I made the cool people list. It was...