As you may or may not know, I’m pretty strict about not publishing content that isn’t Belize related on this blog, however, I’ve decided to share a bit of the experience I had at Travel Blog Exchange (TBEX) 2013. TBEX took over Toronto this weekend and that meant that there were a whole lot of travel [...]
For the twelfth consecutive year, the Belize Tourism Board (BTB) has awarded the country’s finest establishments of the travel industry with top honours during the National Tourism Awards. The reception was held on Saturday May 18, 2013 on the secluded Bannister Island, which is two miles from the Belize Barrier Reef and nine miles east-southeast [...]
With summer around the bend I can’t help but reminisce on the time when I went backpacking in Central America. Before having that experience, I couldn’t have imagined how amazing and life changing the trip was going to be. The people and cultures are as diverse as the landscape, and the food – oh the food – is magnificent (farm-to-table). [...]
My first trip to Belize was in December 2011 through January 2012. It was partially a vacation (since I hadn’t been on vacation in almost 7 years!) and partially a small test my boyfriend, Matt, and I were putting out there. If we survive traveling in Belize for a month, we can survive anything – [...]
Based on researched conducted in Belize, this short film details the Maya creation myth according to the Popol Vuh and the importance of the Ceiba tree as the bridge between the heavens, earth and the underworld. This is such a fascinating story with lovely illustrations. Beautifully captured, you will see insects, fishes, birds, crocodiles, jaguars, [...]
Mara Jernigan is currently the head chef and general manager of Belcampo Belize, a gorgeous property in the rainforests of Toledo and somewhere I visited years ago when it was initially Machaca Hill Lodge. I sought out to interview Mara because good news travels fast and word is that she is bringing a lot of [...]
Destination weddings are so common nowadays that they are taking place all over the world and Belize is no different than other popular destination wedding locale. In fact, Belize may even exceed your expectations since it boasts the second largest barrier reef in the world, English is the official language, it’s considered to be the center of the [...]
In this video taken at Caracol by my friend Julie Schwietert Collazo, prominent Belize archaeologist Jaime Awe explains the fundamentals of Maya Architecture and what makes it distinct and impressive. He draws examples from other countries such as Canada and the US, and how architecture is used to make visual statements that demonstrate national identity, [...]
If you’re used to traveling in Central America, when you enter the country of Belize you may notice that you can’t stretch your money as much as you did in countries such as Guatemala or Honduras. This is because similarly to Costa Rica, Belize is a bit on the expensive side. But don’t give up [...]
There are persons that you meet when traveling that make your experience unforgettable, Stone Crab is one of those people of Belize. He has to be one of the most interesting characters in Caye Caulker, if not also in the entire country. Let me tell you a little about how I met him. Easter Holiday in [...]
- Funny Beliefs And Superstitions Of Belize October 18, 2012
- Belize Gets A New Logo! Yay or Nay? January 15, 2013
- Kriol, The Lingua Franca of Belize March 28, 2012
- I Hate Belize… Belize City To Be More Specific September 22, 2012
- La Isla Bonita, My Ambergris Caye April 21, 2012
- Why I Had A Great Time At #TBEX June 6, 2013
- Belize Tourism Awards 2013 May 20, 2013
- The Best Of Central America May 3, 2013
- Meeting “Mommy” Janice, A Local Bush Medicine Healer April 25, 2013
- Maya Creation Myth April 18, 2013
- Sarah Jenkins: Marina, I love this list of activities - the photo...
- Partha Mandal: Its really nice to know about peoples favorite and...
- Cassie: You're a sweetie, Lorenzo and so much fun! I'm s...
- Pandelicious: Wow. Such an honor to be part of the list. I'm in...
- Meggie Kay: Aww. I'm glad I made the cool people list. It was...